Sunday, January 23, 2011

American Ballet Theater!

I'm now 1/3 of the way towards one of my "22 things before 22" goals!

On Tuesday night, I went to see American Ballet Theater (ABT) perform a mixed bill at the Kennedy Center.  And I'm still reeling in the loveliness.  ABT has always been one of my very favorite companies (I can list the principal dancers like a baseball fan would his team's starting line-up), but Tuesday's show has to be one of my absolute favorites.

There were two Balanchine pieces:

Theme and Variations

and Duo Concertant

 Theme and Variations is set to Tchaikovsky and Duo Concertant to Stravinsky, so it was a perfect Balanchine sampler.  Plus, David Hallberg and Paloma Herrera danced soloist roles.  Swoon!

 Julie Kent danced the lead in Tudor's Jardin aux Lilas.  Tudor's style is not my favorite (often angular and sharp whereas I gush for fluidity), but the music!  I love love love Chausson's Poeme


(This is my favorite recording of Poeme)


 And the final piece- Fancy Free!  I have been waiting more than 5 years to see this ballet!  Robbins choreographed (love love love) and and Leonard Bernstein composed the score.  On a hot summer night in 1944, three sailors have a night of leave in New York City.  Skirt chasing and cheeky male bravado ensues.  Beyond wonderful. So much fun and more than lived up to my expectations.

I could go on forever, but I'll stop now.  Can't wait for ballet #2!




No comments:

Post a Comment