Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A change of vocabulary


I'm a self-professed word nerd.  There's no hiding my love for etymology and interesting word origin stories (if you are a dork like me, I can't recommend Bill Bryson's Made in America enough.  I bored my roommates with new fun-facts at least three times a day while reading it.  Anyone want to know George Washington's relationship to the word "grog"? eh? eh?). 

And so, only about a month into my post-grad life, I decided it was high time to rechannel some negative energy into rethinking the way I think!  Unleash the power of words to feel a bit more powerful and such.

Now, instead of "job hunting," I spend my time "moving and shaking," "hustlin," and "grooving."  When nerves creep in, I repeat the mantras "woman up" and "be a woman" to transition from anxiety-ridden to strong and self-assured.  Rather than "unemployed," I am an "unfettered vagabond" (I'm imagining myself riding the rails out west with exactly 1 leather satchel and 1 moleskine journal when I call myself that one. win.) 

Other useful vocabulary shake-ups?
Me, Myself, and I-- Beast, Darling, Minx, Starshine, Daffodil
Anything boring, tedious or unsavory on the to-do list-- poppycock, hooha, "the hit-list"
Dreams-- Plans
Can'ts-- Cans

Ever do something goofy to feel a little stronger/motivated?

No comments:

Post a Comment