Friday, June 3, 2011

#6 Wear red lipstick out


I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick.
-Audrey Hepburn

It may seem small, but #6 was actually a big, scary item on the "22 before 22" list.  The body image and self esteem issues that torment many girls my age have long been my companions.  Embarking on 22 new adventures this year is one of several healing exercises I'm trying out this year.  Some are just fun (new ballets, Vietnamese food!) and others are meant to push me out of my comfort zone and to remind me that my fears are often unfounded.  And wearing fire engine red lipstick = way way way out of the comfort zone!  A lovely woman at Sephora helped me to find the shade, "flamenco" (pictured above).  It took some pep-talking from my wonderful roommates to get me out the door, but the final verdict... I love it! (You could have guessed that on your own though, right?)  I felt like a vintage vixen, and, as always, what frightened me before was barely a smidgeon as scary as I'd thought.  Isn't it great how that works out?

I only have a very poor quality photo from a friend's iPhone... but here's the evidence!  (In retrospect, I should have done more to document the occassion.  Apologies and promises for next time!)

That's me in the black and white striped dress. If you squint, you can kind of see the red...

No comments:

Post a Comment