Monday, September 5, 2011

Let's Brighten Someone's Day!

Taking a few spare moments to make someone-- anyone!-- smile is near always worth it. Who's in for some warm and fuzzies today? Ten to one odds that the lucky recipient of your kindness boomerangs joy right back to you.

(This is a purely gratuitous picture of Matt Damon. He brightens my day :) )

Write a thank you note.
Gratitude is always appreciated. Co-worker helped you out on a project? Shoot them an email! Friends stayed up until 4am discussing your troubles? Call them! Just remembered that time your middle-school bestie lent you her sparkly sweatshirt for picture day? Send a letter! (including a picture, I'd hope)

A quick "thanks" will not suffice. If you're setting out to brighten a day, you've got to spend more time than it takes to text six letters. You need to let this superhero know how incredible they really are! Explain exactly how his or her actions impacted you for the better. Spare no superlative.

Wrap it up.
If you picked up a just-because gift for a friend, take a quick minute to wrap it up! Even a 99 cent candy bar becomes a special treat when covered in bright paper and a bow. Anticipation is fun!

Give a(n unusual) compliment.

I like hearing that my hair or outfit looks nice as much as the next girl. But the compliments that stick with me (and I bet with you guys too) are the ones out of left field. Shake off the mundane to hit the proper day-brightening note!

"You have a spiritual gift for creating mix CDs."
"That was such a tactful response. I'm always impressed with how well you field client questions."
"I wish I had your memorization prowess. You're my walking Google!"
"You always make me laugh. Without fail!"
"You inspire me."
"I feel so proud of you and the choices you're making now."

Or, if you're going to go with appearance (nothing wrong there!), make it personal. It's rather forgettable to say, "I like your shirt."  How about "that shirt brings out the most amazing shade of green in your eyes!" or "you rock boatnecks better than anyone I know! Serious collarbone jealousy."? Or even, "You style vintage pieces so well. Teach me your thrifting secrets!"

Surprise!
Take box. Fill with helium balloons. Give to friend. Squeal with joy when he opens it and balloons fly everywhere!

I've been wanting to try this one for ages.  Please (!) tell me if you do :

Smile.
How many people do you ignore everyday? I know I usually tune out almost every one around me when walking through the city. Go ahead, make eye contact and smile. Throw in a "hello" or "how are you?" for good measure. It's the little things, right?

How do you add pep to someone else's step? 

2 comments:

  1. Only moderately related:

    I have been catching up on episodes of 30 Rock and I almost shit my pants with glee when Matt Damon showed up in Season 4 as Liz Lemon's pilot boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the 'serious collarbone envy' one! That would make my day.

    Must. try. box surprise!

    ReplyDelete